Monday, May 09, 2005

What do you want?

Screaming barefoot kids sprint through a mini-town of soft buildings, ambulances and police cars. Malls now must have playlands (thank you McDonald's). So, I sat at the mall watching my son play, while the girls shop. This is what Dad's do.

There were Asians, Caucasians, Hispanics, Africans, Arabic. . . American children running like wild. I did not content myself to watch the fun without thinking. I began to wondering, "What do people want?" What do they believe they want or need? In this common place, what need or value would unite the diverse people gathered here.

I gave up thinking and began reading the New York Times on my PDA. A fellow Dad, Caucasian with Asian children, asked me if I liked my Dell Axim. We talked about his Treo, which did not work. The conversation was casual and friendly. But I could not let go of my inner question. I now wish that I had flat out asked him.

So, I am asking you "What would people claim to want?" What are our core values?
Happy Children, technology that works, careers that succeed . . . what?

1 comment:

Brady Bryce said...

Ok, I really thought someone would answer my question. This is not a rhetorical question.

Church is not cutting it? old post

What questions should disciples of Jesus be asking (and answering) about people's needs and desires?