Monday, March 19, 2007

Box of Trophies

This weekend we raised the garage and let people haul off our possessions. Rather than feeling stolen from, we felt like we were making out like bandits. It is a wonder of America that people will pay you money, to take your old unwanted items, and haul them away for you. Garage sales just feel good (if you get past the days of preparation, sign posting, ad listing, and day spent on your feet).

We have been setting aside stuff for a sale more than one year. One of the boxes I needed to look through was marked "Brady's Trophies" and sealed up more than a decade ago. Hum. . . what did I consider a trophy that I had not looked at or displayed or even thought about in years?

Inside the box was a soccer trophy "Cosmos," a science fair trophy "Altus Science Fair," a trophy from a birthday party marked "Ryan's Olympics," a Quartz Mountain Christian Camp "Boy Christian Leader" plaque, and much more. What can be done with an old box of trophies? The trophy shop did not want them. They suggested giving them to a school or church. Do I save them for my kids? (to throw away someday . . . or just save them the trouble).

Every single thing I own right now will one day be of little to no interest to me. Things I love. Things I worked hard to earn. Things I protect and dust and wax and care for today . . . someday I won't know where they are or even miss them. Think about your first computer, first PDA, VCR, television, shoes, appliance, tool or whatever. It could be that right now you really want something desperately.

"All of these things I consider trash," says my friend Paul, "compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus." Paul was not referring to things he could sell in a garage sale. He was referring, strangely enough, to a list of religious achievements. Things like being born into a religious household, having the best education, mastery of the law, and perfect practice of following God. These were the things Paul left at the curb for disposal. These are normally things people put on display, but Paul displayed them in a trash bag.

Know Jesus Christ. This is an eternal quest that makes every other pursuit different.

One day almost every single trophy and treasure you have right now will be of little importance to you. The things you are sweating to buy. Those people you long to impress. The wallpaper you desire. The software that will make your work easier. Value changes as time goes by. When viewed from the end, most things are of little value.

What if we made our eternal quest the knowledge of Jesus? Then, we would have a treasure that would never end.

Know Jesus as Lord.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently threw away my precious(?) Reserve Grand Champion - Swine Division Trophy from 1982 and believe it or not, I have not missed it! I also, not long ago, threw away (literally put it out to the curb) a computer that I paid $900 for and it still worked as it did new. The trash men were doing me a favor.

The older I get, the easier it is to throw away (de-clutter). What else in my life is merely clutter that is constantly in the way of things that really matter? Hmmm...

Thanks for the blog entry.


--Doug M.

Brady Bryce said...

What a great story, Doug! I have always thought of you as a grand champion. Now, I know it is true.

Selling, recycling, or donating our stuff is a great way to make life better for someone else. You would be surprised how people can benefit from a computer that is working but not well enough for us. Check out
http://sharetechnology.org/
for some ideas on donating computers, ink cartriges.

My family gave our last computer to a family recovering from Hurricane Katrina. We give old cell phones to local women's shelters. Plus, Ruth's Room and Habitat for Humanity are great re-sellers of items with proceeds going to help those in need.

If someone has a great way to donate computers (or other electronics) please post it. This is a difficult problem. Wanting to clean up and not knowing where we can best help.

Thanks for sharing and giving ideas for the rest of us.